|Before treatment (PRM: 1985.52.968)|
|Detail of corrosion (PRM: 1985.52.968)|
We always assess an artefact throughly before carrying out any treatment, as a sweep of our brush could mean life or death for a little piece of history.
On first inspection it looked a little like there had been copper wire stitching around the eyelets and that this had corroded. If this was the case, I would need to record it carefully before continuing treatment, so I took a look at it under the microscope. I took the photo by attaching a Canon EOS 60D camera to a microscope set at x40 magnification. The image was then sharpened using Helicon Focus Software.
|After treatment (PRM: 1985.52.968)|
This revealed that it was just products of copper corrosion growing away from the eyelets, giving the illusion of stitching. As a result I could simply brush away the corrosion and vacuum up the debris with our Museum vacuum.